Studying in Nigeria comes with a lot of challenges. However, depending on your course of choice for study or preferred university, you may experience more or fewer challenges. There are three factors to consider when picking a university to apply to for further learning in Nigeria. These three factors are the school’s reputation, the standard of learning as regards your course of choice, and the job success rate of its alumni. Graduates from some universities are favored over others by employers. In this article, we will be sharing with you the top 10 universities in Nigeria, that getting a certificate from will attract your dream employer’s attention when you apply for jobs.
1. University of Ibadan (UI) – Located in Ibadan, Nigeria.
This university was founded in 1932 and was the first established institution of higher learning in Nigeria. Reputation precedes it, as it is hailed as one of the best universities in Nigeria as regards quality education. The university is said to have been the breeding ground for great minds like Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe.
A certificate from the University of Ibadan showing that you have a Bachelor’s degree in a professional course like Medicine, Law, Banking and Finance, and so on, will make recruiters pay more attention to your CV or resume.
2. Covenant University (CU) – Located in Ota, Nigeria.
This university brought an end to the former notion that the best schools in Nigeria are federal universities. It is a private university with a Christian foundation. It was ranked as the best private university in Nigeria by the Nigerian University Commission (NUC) in 2018, and the 601st best university in the entire world in 2019. The school boasts of delivering Christo-centric and quality education to its students.
Although the school fees are quite high, Covenant University has built an impeccable reputation that leads us to believe that the quality of education received by the students is worth every cent. Back up your Bachelor’s degree from Covenant University with appealing manners and notable achievements, and your dream job offer will be all yours.
3. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) – Located in Enugu state, Nigeria.
This university was founded in 1960 by the first president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (then referred to as the governor-general), Nnamdi Azikiwe. It is ranked as no. 1001 on the list of the world’s best universities in 2022. It has four campuses, including a business school.
Like UI, it is a tough competition between students every year to get into UNN, because they have high cut-off marks for JAMB and POST-UTME examinations. However, as with any other federal university in the country, their fees are moderate and quite affordable. If you turn up to apply for your dream job with a certificate from Nsukka’s business school, or a bachelor’s degree from any of their undergraduate programs, you are sure to find an alumnus from your school at the company. The recruiter might have been your senior colleague while you were both in school!
4. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) – Located in Osun State, Nigeria
Another godfather of Nigerian Universities, the Obafemi Awolowo University has been around since 1962. It is one of the largest universities in the country, with a land mass of approximately 11,862 hectares of land. The university has a central campus, hostels for students, accommodation for staff, and a research farm used for teaching as well. OAU has very high standards regarding education, and aspiring students have to work very hard to get in and are kept on their toes the whole duration of their study at the university. However, like the proverbial rod tried in the fire, graduates from OAU are hailed to be knowledgeable in their field of expertise when they join the workforce.
5. Federal University of Technology Minna (FUT Minna) – Located in Minna Niger State, Nigeria.
This school was founded in 1982 and has been thriving for 37 years. FUT Minna has an admission rate of 80% to 90%, which makes it an easier school to get into as opposed to the others above it on the list.
6. University of Lagos (UNILAG) – Lagos State, Nigeria.
The University of Lagos was founded in 1962 and has a track record of providing quality and research-based education to students for over 50 years. The record has it that this phenomenal school has produced many reputable men in politics. Most notable alumni of the school include His Excellency, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo. SAN.( Vice President of Nigeria), His Excellency, Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode, (the governor of Lagos State), and Wale Adennuga (Hotshot movie producer and one of the top 10 richest men in Nigeria) amongst many others.
7. Ahmadu Bello University(ABU) – Located in Zaria, Nigeria
This university was founded in 1962 and is hailed as one of the best universities to study Medicine and Surgery and other health science courses in the country. The university was given its name in honor of the one-time Prime Minister of Nigeria, Sir Ahmadu Bello.
8. Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB) – Located in Ogun State, Nigeria.
This university was established in 1988 and has a student population of approx. 10,000 to 14,999 students. FUNAAB has been in the business of molding young minds for 31 years so far. The university has an admission rate of 40% to 50%, which makes it an easier school to get into than OAU and UI.
9. University of Illorin (UNILORIN) – Located in Kwara State, Nigeria.
The University of Ilorin originally started as one of the campuses of the Kwara State Polytechnic.
In 2014, the school was ranked the 20th best university in Africa, and 1824th in the world. It has a fair admission rate, which makes it moderately selective for aspiring students.
10. University of Benin (UNIBEN) – Located in Edo State, Nigeria.
UNIBEN was first established as a technology institute in Nigeria in 1970. In 1971, it received recognition as a university from the Nigerian University Commission (NUC). The university supports full-time and part-time study and has a population of over 40,000 enrolled students.
The bulk of this list contains federal universities, however, there are some private universities that maintain a high standard of education as well.
Top 10 Reputable Private Universities in Nigeria Include:
- Covenant University
- Landmark University – Located in Omu-Aran, Kwara State, Nigeria.
- Babcock University – Situated in Ogun State, Nigeria.
- The American University of Nigeria – Located in Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria.
- Al-Hikmah University – Situated in Illorin, Kwara State, Nigeria.
- Afe Babalola University (ABUAD) – Located in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria.
- Bowen University – Situated in Iwo, Osun State, Nigeria.
- Redeemers University – Located in Mowe, Ogun State, Nigeria.
- Pan-Atlantic University – Located in Lagos State, Nigeria.
- African University of Science and Technology
Fun Facts about Some of the Nigerian Universities.
- The University of Ibadan was originally an affiliated college with the University of London.
- Covenant University is the youngest established university on the top 10 list. It was established on the 21st of October, 2002. It is only 21years old and does not offer some courses like Law.
- UNN was first founded in 1955 but officially opened for use in 1960.
- The University of Illorin started with only 200 students.
- OAU was formerly called the University of Ife before it was called Obafemi Awolowo University.
- The University of Illorin has been ranked as the most preferred university by admission seekers in the data shared by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), consistently for five years.
- The largest university in Nigeria is the National Open University Nigeria (NOUN)
The best universities in Nigeria are the most competitive because they are the most sought-after due to their high standards of education. Therefore, getting admission into them would be tasking and as an aspiring student, you will be required to put in a lot of effort to ace the JAMB and POST-UTME exams. However, the stress will be worth it in the end, as some of these universities teach using international standards and a degree obtained from them will look good on your resume. I hope you find this article helpful.