- Working under the overall supervision of IOM Nigeria’s IBM Senior Programme Manager, and under the direct supervision of IBM Program Manager, National Programme Officer (IM), the successful candidates’ primary role will be to provide support to IOM Nigeria’s IBM programme portfolio, focusing on providing support to the Government of Nigeria (GoN) towards improvement of IOM Nigeria’s interventions in the implementation of new approaches to the unit’s service delivery to relevant government partners.
- Additionally, the successful candidate(s) will be accountable and responsible for providing general support as requested to the full portfolio of IOM Nigeria IBM projects.
- The IBM Programme Assistant will work in close collaboration with key Nigerian government partners; contribute to monitoring and analysis of national and trans-national trends relevant to the IOM Nigeria IBM portfolio; and contribute Nigerian perspective and support to regional IBM projects affecting Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Supporting the National Programme Officer (IM) and/or the Senior Programme Assistant, and their supervisors, in liaison with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities (NGOs), international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for the effective implementation of the activities of projects and participate in coordination meetings with governments, NGOs and other stakeholders where required in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Assisting in the planning, preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences, workshops, meetings, presentations and missions related to the projects, undertaking duty travel, when necessary, in support of project implementation.
- Providing general support to the development of new related projects based on identified needs during project implementation, including monitoring of IT components of the project activities.
- Support key project staff in liaising with relevant government partners, non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant project stakeholders when the issues strongly intersect with information technology, data and biometric systems.
- Collecting and providing necessary information and assists in preparing, organizing and implementing all aspects of the projects’ activities including preparations and support to special consultancies occurring in the projects.
- Assisting in preparation of reports and reporting to donors and partners, in IOM and donor formats as required, including assisting in the monitoring and evaluation of projects’ activities for the assigned components, and supporting visibility and communication activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree from an accredited institution preferably in Social Sciences, Business Administration, International Relations or related field with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Three years’ experience (or five years for candidates holding school diploma) in related field, closely related to development or humanitarian project administration and management;
- Demonstrated non-specialist knowledge in the thematic areas relevant to IOM mandate areas for project implementation and development;
- Experience working on migration issues in a project setting will be an advantage; and,
- Direct experience in border management and innovative approaches to government training and capacity building in the migration sector will be an added advantage.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, the UN and NGOs;
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of any local language and French is an added advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Values: Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications to: [email protected] indicating position applied for on subject line and click the link to apply
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter of not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line SVN2022.71. Abuja Programme Assistant (IBM) G5.
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- This position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.