- You will use CfA tools and methodologies to help research investigative leads and/or hypotheses, based on digital signals/evidence from public sources, and will analyse the evidence to produce timely and actionable insights.
- You will do so by planning and executing data gathering exercises involving Portuguese language sources, based on specifications that you help your team define.
- You will apply appropriate advanced analysis strategies on the resulting large and complex datasets to solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems.
- You will help transform the resulting data-driven insights into clear narrative reports and presentations, underpinned by dossiers of verifiable evidence, for non-technical audiences in both Portuguese and English.
- You will use the resulting signals and data to help watchdog partners, such as journalists, produce evidence-driven analysis and reportage that is accessible and understandable to both policymakers and the general public.
- You will be part of a team of custodians for CfA’s open access OSINT tools and platforms, including connected.AFRICA and CivicSignal and source.AFRICA, amongst others.
- You will help strengthen civil society and media capacity to undertake its own forensic data analysis, by supporting CfA training initiatives and by helping produce step-by-step courseware or tutorials teaching our methodologies.
- You will help build a multicultural and transnational team ethos that values creativity and human-centred design principles.
Candidates who are able to demonstrate the following will have an advantage:
- Experience with statistical software (e.g. R, Python, MATLAB) and database languages (e.g. SQL) for network analysis, as well as using tools such Brandwatch or CrowdTangle for social media analysis.
- Experience in using digital technologies for conducting OSINT investigative research into financial crime, organised crime investigations, forensic investigations, influence operations and related mis-/disinformation techniques, and/or analysis of online polarisation or hate-speech or extremism/militancy and other malign content, and/or experience at using data-driven network analysis/named entity recognition tools for analysing PEPs (politically exposed people) or PIPs (politically influential people) or institutional networks.
- Familiarity with mining and handling large datasets, with demonstrable skills in selecting the right statistical tools and articulating analytical questions / approaches given a data analysis problem.
- Experience working on the digital collaboration tools that CfA uses for managing workflow, ranging from Slack and Trello, to Github and Google Drive would be an advantage.
- Demonstrable creative problem-solving/lateral thinking skills and self-direction, with an ability to work consistently in a fast-paced environment. Willingness to learn new techniques, and teach others.
- An understanding of religious freedom/extremism, terrorism networks, international money laundering operations, and/or criminal structures would be a bonus.
- Demonstrable investigative skills honed from at least two years experience in digital forensics, investigations, OSINT intelligence, due diligence, asset tracking, compliance, or other investigative professions with precision writing skills. CfA will not consider any applicants who served with government intelligence agencies.
- An understanding of financial crime, organised crime investigations or influence operations, including both disinformation and misinformation, as well as digital amplification and viral media techniques would be a benefit.
- Critical thinking skills, and an obsessive attention to detail, with excellent numeracy and analytical skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluent in Prtuguese and English.
What We Offer
- A competitive salary, subject to experience, with opportunities for performance-based growth, both in terms of career path and public stature.
- A dynamic workplace, with a transnational team, occasional international travel, and generous vacation benefits.
- Ongoing opportunities to learn new cutting-edge skills and techniques / technologies to future-proof yourself in a rapidl[-py evolving industry.
- A chance to shine on a global stage, writing for international audiences and interacting with colleagues around the world.