Description of Duties
Installation, Administration and Maintenance:
- Coordinate the installation and maintenance of all ICT hardware and software; according to AFRO ICT standard.
- Ensure uninterrupted and effective ICT services to the office.
- Install and support LAN/WAN and data communications systems as per AFRO ICT Standard (Windows Operating System XP/2000/2003, TCP/IP, Ethernet, VPN, PIX, Firewall, Proxy server, Microsoft Exchange server 2003, VSAT, VolP, SNMP. DNS, DHCP
- Maintain, troubleshoot and repair ICT equipment.
- Perform daily server backup of data files
- Set up and maintain disaster recovery procedures
- Set up and maintain security of the ICT infrastructure (hacker and virus protection, protection against power failure, fire protection, etc.
- Maintain inventory of ICT equipment and software
- Administer software and updates
- Liaise with other UN agencies and external partners on ICT matters.
- Make a quarterly report on informatics equipment inventory
- Provide technical documentation concerning all ICT related activities and update it
- Make a monthly activity report (User and Administrative Support)
- Provide in-house training/assistance to staff on usage of informatics equipment (computers accessories) programs (software)
- Assist in the design and implementation of database applications and other computer programmes
- Coordinate the activities of external consultants
- Act as ICT/AFRO focal point at WHO Country Office level; Perform other duties as required.
- Essential: University Degree in Information Technology or Communications Engineering or Computer Technology
- Desirable: Master’s Degree in any of the above and/or specialized ICT certification
- Essential: At least 5 years experience in telecommunications and information technology related matters.
- Relevant Experience at national and international level. Good knowledge of GSM System or similar ERP Systems
- Experience with staff training in the use ofmanagement information systems
- Desirable: Prior relevant working experience with WHO/UN or with an international non governmental organization
- Experience in the integrating of Voice and Data Communications field: LAN design, maintenance and trouble shooting roster configuration, IP address schemes, internet/tunneling
- Very good knowledge of LAN and TCP/IP networking, Windows 2000 and XP Professional Windows 2000/2003 Server, Microsoft Active Directory
- Good knowledge of E-mail system’s administration (Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook2000/2003
- Good knowledge of computer security including firewall and Virus protection;
- Good knowledge of Data backup and Disaster Recovery procedures (Veritas Backup Execis the software used)
- Good knowledge of Database programming with visual Basic
- Goodknowledge of the Administration of telecommunication systems including PBX
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot problems
- Ability to write technical documents
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing results.
WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars. The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 62,692 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 2649 per month for the duty station indicated above. Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
- Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the highest ethical and professional standards and that is committed to put the WHO Values Charter into practice.
- WHO has zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station
- The unit will provide the services of information and communication technology to WHO Country Office