- The Core Network Planning Engineer will co-ordinate site surveys for PoPs; inclusive of technical site survey
Other responsibilities includes;
- Handle transmission planning equipment inventory.
- Handle transmission equipment procurement process and track equipment delivery.
- Overall project planning, delivery, and update of the milestone project plan.
- Support the team in the planning, dimensioning, and deployment of optical transport equipment
- Coordinate and manage equipment deployment.
- Provide weekly reports on capacity, inventory, and utilization of applicable transmission and carrier equipment configurations.
- Provide detailed engineering documentation to support and ensure the success of required projects. This will involve site surveys, gathering field data, and generating reports on the current capacity and database.
- Supporting the effective management and documentation/ assignment of infrastructures /Facility space, Racks, and ports in POPs.
- Provide the required technical support for repeated operational issues.
- Handle and track the RMA process for defective equipment.
Qualifications, Skills & Competencies
- B.Sc / HND in Engineering.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Good communication and reporting skills
- Ownership and initiatives
- Good troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to evaluate and articulate the cost trade-offs associated with various network and circuit implementations.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio, Project, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of network planning tools like Pathloss, MapInfo etc.
- Ability to engage and communicate with vendors, service providers, employees, and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability and willingness to work long hours and meet tight deadlines
- Travelling may be required at short notice.
- Ability to analyse and interpret detailed technical solution and implement into network planning document.
- Good Knowledge of various protection schemes namely LMSP, SNCP ERPS, LAG Ring & Mesh Protection, etc.
- Basic understanding of SDH, Carrier Ethernet Technology, quality of service and network management concepts is necessary
- SDH, OTN knowledge and/or experience working in a telecommunications environment
- Ability to interpret topography, network design maps and CAD Designs
- Knowledge of a vendor network management system
Demands of the Job
- This role demands prompt and timely delivery of customer’s service, as well as good inventory and stock management.