The job of a retail manager is an important one for retail businesses. Retail managers are otherwise known as store managers. In this post, we will be taking a look at the job description and average salary of retail manager in Nigeria. Also, we will talk about the following:
- Who a retail manager is
- What retail management entails
- Job brief of a retail manager
- Job description of a retail manager
- Requirements and skills for a retail manager job
- The average salary of a retail manager in Nigeria
- How to get retail manager jobs in Nigeria
What Does Retail Management Entail?
The process of running and managing retail establishments’ daily operations involving the sale of goods and services to clients is known as retail management. The process strives to make sure that consumers are satisfied with the products and services they buy and that retail establishments function well and continue to be profitable.
Who Is A Retail Manager?
The management of a retail store is the responsibility of a retail manager. They are in charge of all facets of daily staff, stock, and sales supervision. The retail manager is responsible for overseeing all of the store’s personnel, and the retail manager is accountable to a district or general manager.
The primary duties of a retail manager include:
- Organizing all store operations and allocating responsibilities to personnel
- Supervising and guiding staff towards maximum performance
- Preparing and controlling the store’s budget aiming for minimum expenditure and efficiency
The classic adage “the customer is always right” applies here. Retail managers must be careful when interacting with customers because they frequently face challenging circumstances. If a customer is treated unfairly, social media may swiftly ruin what was previously a solid reputation. A retail manager is in charge of recruiting, onboarding, and, in some situations, career development for staff members.
The development of employees is crucial since it allows stores to promote from within and produce qualified managers who may eventually work at other locations. Various subordinates, such as assistant managers, department managers, supervisors, key holders, shift leads, or leads, may report to a retail manager. Retail managers make sure there is enough staff to run the business efficiently and that workers are properly trained for their roles. Retail managers frequently work on the sales floor and interact with both their workers and consumers on a daily basis.
They make sure that their employees provide excellent customer service and will handle any problems or complaints from clients. Additionally, they must maintain staff motivation, settle any internal disputes, and reach some difficult conclusions. According to the business’s fiscal cycle, a retail manager must achieve sales targets on a monthly, quarterly, or annual basis. This entails providing sales incentives, establishing quotas, or hosting employee competitions. The retail manager may occasionally be required to cut back on employee hours to control costs and achieve sales targets.
Retail managers will have to make decisions that have an impact on the business whether they are working with staff, clients, management, or vendors. It is essential to their success that they can make quick, difficult decisions. Customers frequently request to talk with the manager, and the manager’s interactions with customers have a significant impact on customer loyalty, employee satisfaction, and the health of the organization. Retail managers that excel at providing excellent customer service will help to build customer loyalty and fix problems before they become problems.
Job Brief Of A Retail Manager
A seasoned retail manager is required to manage the day-to-day activities of a retail business. To optimize sales and save costs, you will be the one to guarantee that business operations function smoothly. The ideal candidate will have previous retail management experience in addition to an understanding of a variety of business topics, including sales, marketing, etc. A successful retail manager will also be able to inspire staff to work to the best of their abilities. The objective is to run our store in a way that increases sales and expands the company.
Job Description Of A Retail Manager
- Organize all store operations and allocate responsibilities to personnel
- Supervise and guide staff towards maximum performance
- Prepare and control the store’s budget aiming for minimum expenditure and efficiency
- Monitor stock levels and purchases and ensure they stay within budget
- Deal with complaints from customers to maintain the store’s reputation
- Inspect the areas in the store and resolve any issues that might arise
- Plan and oversee in-store promotional events or displays
- Keep abreast of market trends to determine the need for improvements in the store
- Analyze sales and revenue reports and make forecasts
- Ensure the store fulfills all legal health and safety guidelines
Requirements And Skills Needed For A Retail Manager Job
- Proven experience as a retail manager or in other managerial position
- Knowledge of retail management best practices
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Excellent organizing and leadership skills
- Commercial awareness
- Analytical mind and familiarity with data analysis principles
- Excellent knowledge of retail management software (e.g. MS RMS)
- BSc/BA in business administration, sales, or relevant field; MSc/MA is desirable
Average Salary Of A Retail Manager In Nigeria
Based on salary estimates of 30 retail managers across Nigeria, we can tell you that the average monthly for a Retail Manager in Nigeria is 100,000 Naira. Entry-level retail managers earn around 65,000 Naira while mid-level retail manager earns up to 125,000 Naira. A senior-level retail manager earns up to 149,000 Naira monthly.
How To Get A Retail Manager Job In Nigeria
Getting a retail manager job in Nigeria is pretty easy all thanks to Hubforjobs. All you need to do is to log on to Hubforjobs.com and start applying for published retail manager jobs that suit you. Click here Hubforjobs
You can also connect with Hubforjobs on all their social media handles for more regular job updates
LinkedIn : @HubForJobs