Product design as a career is fast gaining momentum as in recent years, we have seen more people delve into that career path. Also, the demand for product designers by organizations has increased tremendously.
This post will take a look at the job description of a product designer as well as the average salary of product designers in Nigeria.
A Product Designer is a person who is responsible for turning consumer desires and demands into product design features.
They must have a creative eye and be able to think outside the box to come up with fresh ideas or solutions that match client expectations, as well as generate digital or print drawings and completely working products.
A Product Designer, often known as a Retail Product Designer, is someone who creates and designs a wide range of consumer goods.
Their primary responsibilities include creating new product designs, improving existing items, and performing market research for new product design concepts.
Product designers collaborate with an organization’s industrial team to create and improve fundamental consumer products such as chairs, beds, and tables.
More complicated goods, such as electrical or medical instruments and equipment, may be created by some Product Designers.
They will perform market research to uncover the preferences of their target consumer group and will make preliminary sketches based on the study details to come up with concepts for new goods to design.
Product designers will also create outline product specs for stakeholders and members of the design team to examine.
They’ll work closely with the design team to come up with distinctive product ideas and provide comments on how to make the product more user-friendly and visually appealing.
Qualities of a good product designer
To evaluate user feedback and develop product enhancements, a skilled Product Designer must have a smart business mind and strong analytical skills.
They must also have an artistic vision and excellent communication skills to convert the wishes and needs of customers into designs.
Organizations search for Product Designers to work on a variety of products for clients.
Defining product specifications, developing digital or print drawings, and designing fully working goods are all responsibilities of a Product Designer.
You should have an eye for color and shape, as well as the ability to convert requirements into actual product features, to be successful in this profession.
Finally, you will assist in developing goods that are both user-friendly and visually appealing to our potential clients.
Job description of product designer in Nigeria
- Identify opportunities for new products
- Analyze how a new product ties in with market needs and consumer preferences
- Set design requirements based on briefs from internal teams and external partners
- Research materials and techniques
- Sketch drafts on paper or digitally (for example, using CAD)
- Use 3D modeling software to design products and components
- Produce prototypes and test functionality
- Improve the design of existing products
- Gather feedback from product users
Product Designer Requirements And Skills
- Work experience as a Product Designer or similar role
- Experience in industrial design
- Creativity in mixing up colors, shapes, and techniques
- Hands-on experience with computer-aided design (CAD) tools
- Good knowledge of 3D modeling software
- Experience with design programs (like Illustrator and Sketch)
- Time-management skills
- BSc/MSc in Product Design, Manufacturing Design Engineering, or relevant field
The average salary of product designers in Nigeria
Based on salary estimates of 6 product designers in Nigeria, we can authoritatively tell you that the average monthly salary of a product designer in Nigeria is 98,000 Naira.
Entry-level product designers can earn as low as 53,000 Naira while mid-level product designers earn around 107,000 Naira monthly.