In this article, we will be taking a look at the job description and average salary of a dentist in Nigeria. For those interested in healthcare careers, learning more about dentist jobs in Nigeria should interest you.
Who Is A Dentist?
A dentist carries out a variety of crucial tasks for the preservation of oral health. Exams are a significant component of the work and are crucial for patients to maintain good dental health. General dentistry also includes routine check-ups and simple procedures that can be completed at a typical dental practice.
A few examples of such operations include cleaning and polishing teeth, performing a small surgical procedure like tooth extraction, and filling a cavity. A dentist will advise patients to maintain proper oral hygiene practices such as brushing, flossing, and scheduling routine cleanings since these actions can help prevent cavities and other oral health issues like tooth decay and gum disease.
In general, the teeth, gums, and dental tissues are all under the dentist’s care, as are any other oral health issues. To carry out their responsibilities, they require a license. It should be noted that state or national standards for dentist education may vary.
Job Brief Of A Dentist
Dentists are generally being hired to identify, address, and counsel patients’ based on their dental problems. You must have prior expertise in treating a variety of teeth and gum issues, from straightforward situations like cleaning plaque to more intricate operations (e.g. placing dental implants) for you to be able to work effectively as a dentist. As a dentist, you’ll encourage good oral hygiene and assist patients in using preventive dental care.
Job Description Of A Dentist
- Examine patients’ medical records
- Prepare patients for treatment (e.g. by applying oral sedation or anesthesia)
- Check teeth, gums, and other parts of the mouth, along with X-rays and tests, to diagnose dental problems
- Clean teeth and remove plaque
- Identify tooth decay and replace cavities with fillings
- Design and fit dental prosthetics, such as bridges, crowns, and dentures
- Apply teeth-whitening treatments
- Conduct tooth extractions and root canal procedures
- Perform surgeries on diseased tissues and bones
- Prescribe medication as needed
- Educate patients on proper brushing techniques, flossing, and fluoride use
- Promote good oral health and preventive dental care (e.g. by scheduling regular check-ups)
Skills And Requirements Needed For A Dentist Job
- Work experience as a Dentist
- In-depth understanding of dental hygiene
- Experience with dental equipment and tools
- Experience with surgeries and teeth extractions
- A pleasant and compassionate personality with the ability to make patients feel comfortable
- Attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry (DMD), or similar degree that gives a license to practice the dentist profession
Average Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria
Based on Salary estimates from 10 practicing dentists in Nigeria, the average monthly salary for a Dentist in Nigeria is 179, 000 Naira. An entry-level dentist can earn up to 150,000 Naira while a mid-level dentist earns around 186,000 Naira as a monthly salary.
Log in or sign up on our website today, and start applying for other related jobs that suit you. Click here Hubforjobs
You can also connect with Hubforjobs on all their social media handles for more regular job updates
LinkedIn : @HubForJobs
dentist salary in nigeria
dental nursing salary in nigeria
can a dentist become a medical doctor in nigeria
salary of dental surgery
dental therapist salary in nigeria
how many years to study dentistry in nigeria
oral and maxillofacial surgeon salary in nigeria