If you are a Civil engineer looking for new civil engineering job openings or an aspiring civil engineer, it’s a good thing you take the time to read this post as we will be delving into the job description and average salary of civil engineering jobs in Nigeria.
Who is a civil engineer?
A civil engineer is a specialist who plans and constructs today’s infrastructure. The profession encompasses the conceptualization, design, and building of all components of this process, whether starting from scratch or remodeling an existing facility.
In both the public and private sectors, a civil engineer works on significant transportation projects. They can specialize in building, geotechnical, structural, or transportation engineering, among other fields.
Civil engineers are in charge of planning projects by assessing long-range plans, survey reports, maps, and other data.
They prepare material, labor, and equipment cost estimates, verify that building materials are assessed for stability and safety, and oversee infrastructure repair, maintenance, and replacement.
What are the qualities of a good civil engineer?
A good civil engineer should have strong project management abilities, effective leadership, technical expertise, creativity, and communication skills.
Because the projects they work on can be complex, and they are involved at every level, the capacity to problem-solve is the most critical skill they should have.
Depending on the project or firm, a Civil Engineer may work for a Contractor, Owner, Developer, or Program Manager. Project Managers, Construction Managers, and Design Managers are all options for reporting to.
Job Brief Of A Civil Engineer In Nigeria
From conception to completion, employers like construction companies, real estate firms, e.t.c are always on the lookout for an imaginative Civil Engineer to design, develop, and execute a wide range of projects in the physically and naturally built environment.
As a Civil Engineer, you will have a say in how the world is shaped, work in a fast-paced, dynamic industry, contribute to the development of healthy economies, and have a lasting good impact on society.
Job Description Of Civil Engineer Job In Nigeria
- Manage, design, develop, create and maintain small-scale through to large-scale construction projects in a safe, timely, and sustainable manner
- Conduct on-site investigations and analyze data (maps, reports, tests, drawings, and others)
- Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications
- Assess potential risks, materials, and costs
- Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
- Oversee and mentor staff and liaise with a variety of stakeholders
- Handle over the resulting structures and services for use
- Monitor progress and compile reports on project status
- Manage budget and purchase equipment/materials
- Comply with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety, etc, and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required
Requirements And Skills For Civil Engineer Jobs In Nigeria
- Proven working experience in civil engineering
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualizations software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or similar
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, regulatory approvals, etc
- Project management and supervision skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- License of professional engineer
- BS/MA in Civil Engineering
The average salary of civil engineers in Nigeria
Based on salary estimates from 102 civil engineers across Lagos, Ibadan, and Abuja, the average monthly salary for Civil engineers in Nigeria is 123,000 Naira.
However, entry-level civil engineers earn 82,000 Naira while mid-level civil engineers earn around 115,000 Naira. A senior-level civil engineer can earn up to 224,000 Naira.
what is civil engineering salary in nigeria
civil engineering salary in nigeria 2021
structural engineering salary in nigeria
construction engineer salary in nigeria
richest civil engineers in nigeria
civil engineering jobs in nigeria
how to become a civil engineer in nigeria