With intercontinental restaurants and five-star hotels springing up at a fast pace in Nigeria, the need for professional chefs has been on the rise.
In recent years, the Nigerian tourism and hospitality industry has experienced a huge boom. This post will focus on the job description and average salary of Chefs in Nigeria.
In restaurants and other venues where food is served, a chef is in control of the kitchen. They keep an eye on everything going on in the kitchen, including food preparation.
They oversee food preparation for garnishing and appearance, as well as seasonings for a proper flavor.
What is the difference between a chef and a cook?
People often take a cook for a chef and vice versa. To answer this question simply, a chef is a person who has been trained to recognize flavors, master cooking techniques, create dishes from scratch using fresh ingredients, and hold a high level of responsibility in the kitchen.
A cook is someone who prepares food according to a set of instructions.
Restaurants, Hotels, or private individuals hire Chefs to prepare delicious meals for our customers. Chef responsibilities include studying recipes, setting up menus, and preparing high-quality dishes. A Chef should be able to delegate tasks to kitchen staff to ensure meals are prepared on time. Also, a chef should be familiar with sanitation regulations. If you have experience with advanced cooking techniques and non-traditional ingredients, you could be the perfect candidate. Ultimately, you’ll prepare and deliver a complete menu that delights our guests.
Chef Job Description
- Set up the kitchen with cooking utensils and equipment, like knives, pans, and kitchen scales
- Study each recipe and gather all necessary ingredients
- Cook food promptly
- Delegate tasks to kitchen staff
- Inform wait staff about daily specials
- Ensure appealing plate presentation
- Supervise Cooks and assist as needed
- Slightly modify recipes to meet customers’ needs and requests (e.g. reduce salt, remove dairy)
- Monitor food stock and place orders
- Check freshness of food and discard out-of-date items
- Experiment with recipes and suggest new ingredients
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations within the kitchen area
Requirements and skills needed for a chef job in Nigeria
- Proven work experience as a Chef or Cook
- Hands-on experience with various kitchen equipment (e.g. grillers and pasta makers)
- Advanced knowledge of culinary, baking, and pastry techniques
- Leadership skills
- Ability to remain calm and undertake various tasks
- Excellent time management abilities
- Up-to-date knowledge of cooking techniques and recipes
- Familiarity with sanitation regulations
- A culinary school diploma preferred
The average salary of chefs in Nigeria
Based on salary estimates from 21 chefs across Nigeria, we can authoritatively tell you that the average monthly salary for chefs in Nigeria is 61,000 Naira.
Entry-level or trainee chefs can earn as low as 20,000 Naira monthly while a mid-level chef earns around 63,000 Naira. However, a senior-level chef can earn up to 81,000 Naira monthly.
Please note that some chefs earn way above these stated salaries. It all depends on where they are fortunate to find a job.
cook salary in nigeria
private chef salary in nigeria
how to become a chef in nigeria
chef jobs in abuja 2021
chef benefits and salary