Are you looking forward to getting hired as a cashier? This post is for you as we will be taking a look at the job description of cashier jobs in Nigeria as well as the average salary for cashier jobs in Nigeria. Keep reading, we got it covered.
With the increase in shopping malls springing up all across the nook and crannies of Nigeria, the demand for cashiers in Nigeria has increased tremendously in recent years.
A cashier is often a retail employee who scans things to confirm that pricing and quantities are correct, assists customers who require assistance or product guidance and manages returns and exchanges as needed.
A cashier assists consumers with money transactions by accepting cash, checks, credit cards, and debit cards.
Because cashiers deal with large sums of money daily, they must be honest, dependable, and trustworthy employees.
Cashiers interact with the public regularly, so they must have outstanding customer service skills as well as be helpful and knowledgeable about the products they sell.
The responsibilities of a cashier vary depending on where they work, but the following are some common ones:
- greet each customer in a positive manner
- enter purchases into the cash register to calculate the total purchase price
- assist customers in locating specific items
- request information or assistance using a paging system
- weigh items sold by weight to determine prices
- identify the price of merchandise by using electronic scanners
- sell lottery tickets and other items to customers
- redeem food stamps and coupons
- accept payment by either cash, cheque, credit, debit, or voucher
- give correct change due to the customer
- issue a receipt
- bag, box, wrap, or gift-wrap merchandise for the customer
- resolve customer complaints
- rectify any price discrepancies
- handle refunds, exchanges, credits, or rain checks
- count money in cash drawers at the beginning of the shift
- count money at the end of the shift and note any discrepancies
- calculate total payments received during the shift, and reconcile them with total sales
- keep the register area neat and stocked with necessary supplies
- assist with clean-up, shelf-stocking, and displays
What are the qualities of a good cashier?
A great cashier is detail-oriented, customer-oriented, and educated about the products in the store. They must also keep their cool when dealing with irate, upset, or flustered consumers.
A cashier works along with other personnel to ensure that consumers have a pleasant and efficient shopping experience.
They also connect with clients directly while they check out products to buy. Supervisors, Retail Managers, and other team leaders supervise cashiers.
Ability to accurately and efficiently manage all customer transactions.
A cashier is expected to be responsible for receiving payments and issuing receipts, gift-wrapping gifts, and keeping track of all cash and credit transactions are all responsibilities of the cashier.
To be successful in this position, you should have past customer service experience and a thorough understanding of how cash registers work.
You should also be willing to work some evening and weekend shifts.
As a cashier, you will make sure that all transactions go well and that we get the most out of our customers.
Job Description Of Cashier Jobs in Nigeria
- Manage transactions with customers using cash registers
- Scan goods and ensure pricing is accurate
- Collect payments whether in cash or credit
- Issue receipts, refunds, changes, or tickets
- Redeem stamps and coupons
- Cross-sell products and introduce new ones
- Resolve customer complaints, guide them and provide relevant information
- Greet customers when entering or leaving the store
- Maintain clean and tidy checkout areas
- Track transactions on balance sheets and report any discrepancies
- Bag, box, or gift-wrap packages
- Handle merchandise returns and exchanges
Requirements and Skills for a cashier job in Nigeria
- Work experience as a Retail Cashier or in a similar role in sales
- Basic PC knowledge
- Familiarities with electronic equipment, like a cash register and POS
- Good math skills
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Customer satisfaction-oriented
- A high school degree or other relevant qualification may suit your employer.
The average salary of Cashier jobs in Nigeria
Based on the Salary estimate from 114 cashiers in Nigeria, the average salary for Cashier in Nigeria is 62,000 Naira.
However, entry-level cashiers can earn as low as 50,000 Naira monthly while a mid-level cashier earns around 67,000 Naira monthly. The salary of a senior-level cashier is around 81,000 Naira.
A cashier is often a retail employee who scans things to confirm that pricing and quantities are correct. They assist customers with money transactions by accepting cash, checks, credit cards, and debit cards. Cashiers interact with the public regularly, so they must have outstanding customer service skills.
A cashier is expected to be responsible for receiving payments and issuing receipts, gift-wrapping gifts, and keeping track of all cash and credit transactions. To be successful in this position, you should have past customer service experience and a thorough understanding of how cash registers work.
cashier salary in Nigeria
supermarket salary in Nigeria
cashier salary per month
salary range for cashier
cashier salary per month in Nigeria