Camera operator jobs abound in the media sector. This job entails capturing high-quality and attractive images for film or TV broadcasting. For those interested in this job, let’s take a look at the job description and average salary of camera operators in Nigeria.
Who is a camera operator?
Cranes, transportable mountings, portable cameras, remote-control cameras, and digital cameras are among the technological equipment used by camera operators. Film and video production companies, as well as television and cable stations, hire camera operators to gather footage for our favorite TV shows, movies, music videos, documentaries, and news and athletic events.
Job Brief Of A Camera Operator
Media houses hire capable Camera Operators that can capture high-quality, appealing shots for film or television broadcasts. As a camera operator, you’ll play a key role in our quest to disseminate knowledge and visually stunning images around the world. A camera operator must be able to maintain a steady hand and rapid reflexes. We want you to feel at ease around expensive and delicate equipment while also being able to focus and pay attention to detail.
There are different camera operators and they are :
Studio camera operators: They work in a broadcast studio and film their subjects from a fixed vantage point. At any given time, one or more cameras may be in use. The order of the shots is usually given to the operators by the director. Before the filming, they typically have time to practice camera motions. If they’re shooting a live event, they’ll need to be ready to make quick modifications and follow the show’s director’s orders.
Electronic news-gathering operators (ENG Operators) – They work as part of a reporting team on the ground. ENG operators see events unfold in real-time and frequently film live events or breaking news. Operators must anticipate the activity and act promptly to shoot it to catch these events. They may edit their footage on location before sending it to a studio for transmission.
Cinematographers: They work on movies and television shows. Some cinematographers specialize in animation or special effects filming. They are frequently supported by a team of camera operators and helpers. They choose the best camera angles and types to capture a shot. They may employ a camera mounted on a track that moves around the action or a stationary camera that shoots whatever passes in front of it. Some crane operators observe the action from atop the cranes. Others walk around the action with the camera slung over their shoulder.
Job Description Of A Good Camera Operator
- Work with directors to determine all aspects of shots
- Provide practical and creative input to scene planning
- Select, assemble, and position equipment (cameras, stands, software, etc.)
- Prepare cameras and test angles or camera movements
- Shoot scenes according to requirements
- Capture quality footage from a fixed or moving position
- Collaborate with make-up artists, lighting, and sound staff to produce the best final effect
- Resolve technical or practical issues
- Edit footage as needed
Requirements And Skills Needed For A Camera Operator Job
- Proven experience as a camera operator
- Experience operating relevant equipment (cameras, cranes, etc.)
- Excellent theoretical knowledge of filming and capturing footage
- Ability to understand and follow camera scripts
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to think and act quickly
- A team player
- Attention to detail
- Physical strength to carry heavy equipment and stamina
- Excellent color vision and hearing
- A high school diploma; or degree in film, media, or relevant field is a plus
Average Salary Of A Camera Operator In Nigeria
Based on salary estimates from 4 camera operators in Nigeria, the average monthly salary for Camera Operator is 103,000 Naira.
Log on to Hubforjobs.com today and start applying for camera operator jobs or other jobs that interest you. Click here Hubforjobs
You can also connect with Hubforjobs on all their social media handles for more regular job updates
LinkedIn : @HubForJobs
camera operator salary in Nigeria
camera operator job description
camera operator jobs in Nigeria