The role of a business development manager is very important in growing organizations. Want to take up business development as a career? Keep reading because, in this post, we will be talking about the job description of a business development manager in Nigeria and their average salary.
Before we proceed, let’s try to understand who a business development manager is.
A Business Development Manager is a professional who is in charge of the department’s expansion. They collaborate with their sales staff to create mutually advantageous offers, negotiate contract conditions, and effectively communicate with key stakeholders.
A Business Development Manager’s job is to help businesses improve their brand recognition and financial success.
They work with company executives and sales and marketing specialists to analyze current market trends and come up with fresh business concepts that can boost profit margins.
When a new potential client contacts your organization for information about what you provide, the Business Development Manager is frequently the initial point of contact.
They reply to RFPs and vendors, generating sales in territories where the company’s product line has never been sold previously.
Qualities of a good business development manager
A good Business Development Manager should be able to develop long-term and successful partnerships with major clients. They’ll also require a clear and decisive communication style so that they may alter solutions to meet the needs of their clientele.
Business Development Managers typically collaborate with other Sales Representatives to identify and close new business prospects or expand existing ones.
They also interact directly with consumers to assist in the closing of sales when necessary, thus they must have excellent customer service skills and a thorough awareness of their company’s products and services.
Employers are always on the lookout to hire a driven Business Development Manager that can assist them to grow their client base.
You will be the face of the firm and will be dedicated to developing and implementing a successful sales strategy.
The goal is to achieve long-term financial success through increasing revenue and building great client connections.
Job Description Of A Business Development Manager In Nigeria
- Develop a growth strategy focused both on financial gain and customer satisfaction
- Conduct research to identify new markets and customer needs
- Arrange business meetings with prospective clients
- Promote the company’s products/services addressing or predicting clients’ objectives
- Prepare sales contracts ensuring adherence to law-established rules and guidelines
- Keep records of sales, revenue, invoices, etc.
- Provide trustworthy feedback and after-sales support
- Build long-term relationships with new and existing customers
- Develop entry-level staff into valuable salespeople
Requirements And Skills For A Business Development Job In Nigeria
- Proven working experience as a business development manager, sales executive, or in a relevant role
- Proven sales track record
- Experience in customer support is a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office and CRM software (e.g. Salesforce)
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Time management and planning skills
- BSc/BA in business administration, sales, or relevant field
Based on the salary estimated from 90 business development managers across Lagos and Abuja, the average monthly salary for Business Development Manager in Nigeria is 228,000 Naira.
However, entry-level business development managers can earn as low as 145,000 Naira while mid-level business development managers earn around 182,000 Naira. A senior-level business development manager earns around 396,000 Naira monthly.
A Business Development Manager’s job is to help businesses improve their brand recognition and financial success. They analyze current market trends and come up with fresh business concepts that can boost profit margins. Business Development Managers are the face of their companies. They are responsible for developing and implementing a successful sales strategy. They must have excellent customer service skills and must have a thorough awareness of their company’s products and services. The average monthly salary for Business Development Manager in Nigeria is 228,000 Naira.