Makeup artiste job is one of the few jobs that allow you to work independently. Some people that work as makeup artists in Nigeria combine the job with other jobs. If you already have a full-time job or are gainfully employed and you are looking for a side hustle and you have flair for fashion or makeup, you can consider becoming a makeup artist. In this article, we will be taking a look at how to become a makeup artist in Nigeria.
In this post, we will also talk about the following:
- Who a makeup artiste is
- Job brief of a makeup artist
- Job description of a makeup artiste
- Requirements and skills needed for a makeup artist job
Who Is A Makeup Artiste?
a makeup artist is an artist whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics on others for theatre, television, film, fashion, magazines, and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry. This post will take a look at the job description and average salary of makeup artists in Nigeria.
A makeup artist can work in a variety of fields, including on sets of movies and plays, in photography studios, in department store makeup counters and other retail venues, or on-site for specific clients. Most of them work as freelancers hence they are not tied down to working with just one client or organization. It is only in rare cases that we can find makeup artists being hired on a full-time basis.
The primary duties of a makeup artist include:
- Understanding requirements from a visual and technical standpoint
- Determining the correct material and application according to lighting, setting, etc.
- Applying simple and complex makeup as required
Job Description Of A Makeup Artist
- Understand requirements from a visual and technical standpoint
- Determine the correct material and application according to lighting, setting, etc.
- Apply simple and complex makeup as required
- Use FX prosthetics to create the desired special effects
- Do appropriate hairstyling to complement the makeup
- Assist in appropriate removing of makeup and prosthetics
- Collaborate with crew members (costume designers, production assistants, etc.)
- Select the best material (cosmetics and tools) and create budgets to purchase
- Clean and maintain makeup applicators and tools
Requirements And Skills For A Makeup Artist Job
- Proven experience as a makeup artist
- Knowledge of makeup and hairdressing techniques
- Experience in prosthetics and special effects is a plus
- Technical understanding of lighting, photography, styles, dramatization, etc.
- Ability to balance quality and budget restraints
- Understanding of health and safety rules
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Artistic personality and manual dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Patient with a positive attitude
- Diploma from a vocational school in cosmetology, makeup, or relevant study
How To Become A Makeup Artist In Nigeria
Listed below are the steps towards becoming a successful makeup artist in Nigeria:
- Enroll in a makeup program in a cosmetology school
Education is the only way to properly perfect your craft. Cosmetology school can help with it. You’ll pick up the knowledge and abilities required to succeed in the beauty sector. Becoming a licensed professional and getting the career you’ve always wanted, will also assist you in getting ready for the State Board exam. Before you even complete your program, you’ll meet professors and peers at beauty school and start to develop your network of contacts.
- Build Your Costomelogy Portfolio With Samples Of Your Makeup Photos And Videos
Just like any artist, your cosmetology portfolio showcases your talent and creativity. Use engaging visuals to highlight all that you can do. For a professional, high-quality look, make sure you take the best photos. Build your portfolio early on and upload it to your LinkedIn profile.
- Interact With Potential Clients, Stylists, And Creatives
You should be able to communicate and get along with people well both in person and online because makeup artists frequently engage with clients, hair stylists, and other members of a glam team. Your digital exhibition space for showcasing your work and growing your audience is social media. By establishing connections with beauty bloggers, YouTube pros, and Instagram celebrities, you can spread the message to other business professionals. Don’t miss the chance to interact with real people in your field by skipping events and competitions.
- Network With influencers In The Makeup Industry
Networking is everything in the cosmetics industry. Your network is essential since it will bring you the majority of your work and clients. Your chances of getting the job you’ve always desired increase as your network grows.
- Develop Yourself Further By Learning New Trends
After learning the fundamentals of makeup, your education doesn’t end. New trends are continuously emerging in the beauty sector, and their popularity is increasing daily. A true professional is always inquisitive and keeps up with the most recent trends in fashion and technique.
If you found this post informative, log on to Hubforjobs.com for more Click here Hubforjobs
You can also connect with Hubforjobs on all their social media handles for more regular job updates
LinkedIn : @HubForJobs