A medical profession is a very fulfilling and rewarding career path. For those interested in becoming a medical doctor in Nigeria, this post is for you as we will be taking a look at how to become a medical doctor. we will also take a look at the following:
- Who a medical doctor is
- Job description of a medical doctor
- The average salary of a medical doctor
- how to become a medical doctor in Nigeria
Who Is A Medical Doctor?
Doctors are also referred to as physicians. They are qualified healthcare providers who use the practice of medicine to preserve and restore people’s health. Patients are examined, their medical history is reviewed, illnesses or injuries are diagnosed, treatments are given, and patients are given health and wellbeing advice. Medical doctors are required to posses outstanding medical knowledge and excellent counseling skills. Doctors are expected to be compassionate, have attentive listening skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a genuine concern for patients and a passion to be of service and heal people.
To be successful in this role, you should have fantastic organizational and time management skills, the ability to make effective decisions, and an innate ability to manage change. Good medical doctors always have the willingness and ability to handle uncertainty and conflicting demands while remaining calm under pressure.
Job Description Of A Medical Doctor
- Responding to patients’ medical problems by referring to their history, carrying out diagnosis, treatment, counseling, and referral, where necessary.
- Ordering lab tests and interpreting the test results.
- Maintaining confidentiality and impartiality at all times.
- Collecting, recording, and maintaining sensitive patient information such as examination results, medical history, and reports.
- Performing minor surgeries.
- Explaining procedures or prescribed treatments to patients.
- Liaising with medical professionals in the community and hospitals.
- Promoting health education in conjunction with other health professionals.
- Meeting targets set by the government for specified treatments, e.g. child immunization.
- Discussing and evaluating new pharmaceutical products with pharmaceutical representatives.
- Keeping up-to-date with medical developments, treatment, and medication.
- Teaching at hospitals and medical schools, and observing and assessing the work of trainee doctors and medical students.
Average Salary Of A Medical Doctor In Nigeria
The average net salary for Medical Doctor in Nigeria is 218,000 Naira based on salary estimates from 273 medical doctors across Nigeria.
How To Become A Medical Doctor In Nigeria
To become a medical doctor in Nigeria, you must fulfill the following requirements.
- Obtain a degree in medicine (This is very essential).
- Attend College of Medicine to specialize in a field
- Acquire 3 years of experience practicing as a primary care doctor.
- You must have fantastic counseling and listening skills.
- You should have superb organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent decision-making skills and communication.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Compassionate nature with the ability to make patients feel at ease.
- Great management and leadership skills.
Did you find this helpful? log on to Hubforjobs.com for more Click here Hubforjobs
You can also connect with Hubforjobs on all their social media handles for more regular job updates
LinkedIn : @HubForJobs