Fresh out of university, every graduate dreams of getting a job in their dream industry, working hard, and making enough money to travel the world one day. However, in Nigeria where there are more people than job vacancies, this desire may end up as a dream forever. That is why more graduates are getting into tech and acquiring digital skills. Now, more professionals are also bloggers, vloggers, virtual assistants, digital marketers, social media managers, and so on. Digital skills aside, another sector that young people are venturing into, is acquiring creative skills like shoemaking, bag making, fashion designing, and so on. The beautiful thing about monetizing a creative skill is that it generates a lot of income aka money that can sponsor your learning journey in tech. How do you monetize your creative skill? By selling the products or services of your creative skill. This is where e-commerce platforms like Jiji come in.
Several other sites are committed to helping the young entrepreneur succeed, but Jiji stands out, and from this article, you are going to see why. The main purpose of getting a job is to earn money to sponsor your dream lifestyle. As a business owner, you can accomplish that goal without the pressures of a 9 am to 5 pm job.
What is Jiji?
Jiji is an e-commerce site that serves as the meeting platform for buyers and sellers from different parts of Africa to transact successfully for free. The platform was officially launched in 2014 and has grown massively to become the largest online marketplace in Africa since then. One of the many advantages Jiji has over other e-commerce platforms is that anything can be sold on the space including used items and skill-based services. It doubles as a job search site as well. Companies can post adverts for vacancies in their establishment, and receive an influx of applicants shooting their shots through the site. Jiji currently operates in 5 different African countries: Ghana, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Nigeria. You can access the platform using a web browser, or by installing the app. App users get a referral bonus of NGN100 for every person they invite to download the app.
What is the Difference between Jiji and Other Online Shopping Sites in Nigeria?
There are several e-commerce sites in Nigeria like Jumia, Konga, and OLX which have also become quite popular. However what makes Jiji different is:
- Jiji offers a wide variety of options for both buyers and sellers to choose from. You can sell anything on Jiji, from real estate properties to cars, to household wares and kitchen utensils, and even offer services.
- You can also post or apply to a job listing on Jiji
- You can sell used or second-hand clothes and appliances on the platform, provided they are in good working condition.
- Jiji creates an avenue for buyers to directly contact the seller and vice versa, for further negotiation.
- The platform does not offer storage or delivery services to users. It exists solely as a communication channel for buyers and sellers, goods are sent directly from the seller to the buyer.
- The mode of payment for patronage is subject to the buyer’s discretion. Buyers can contact the seller to pay directly, or pay on Jiji for a faster transaction.
- All products advertised to be sold on Jiji are screened to ensure that they are not contraband, stolen, or dangerous items.
How to become a Seller on Jiji
To become a seller on Jiji, you have to do a little more than post pictures of your items on the platform. Here’s how to go about the whole registration process:
- Visit the official website for Jiji Nigeria. Sign up to create an account. The button for that is at the top right corner of your screen on the website.
- Register with your Google or Facebook account. You can also register with your email and phone number details if you prefer not to link your Jiji store to any other account. Remember to use a fresh password for this account for information security’s sake.
- You will be sent a verification code via email, which you have to type in to complete the account creation process. This is a standard step and cannot be skipped, so make sure you use an email address you can access.
- Set a clear headshot of you as your profile picture, or use your brand’s logo.
Now that you have registered your account, the next step is to create your advert.
How to Create an Advert on Jiji
Follow these steps:
- Select the appropriate category for what you want to sell and give a full description of the product or service. Start with a straightforward but catchy title, and be careful; try not to make it too lengthy.
- Upload clear images that are a replica of your product. You should not upload blurry pictures or capture the product from only one point of view. Showcase each part of the product to prevent being branded as a “What I ordered vs What I got” Jiji store.
- State your price. Conduct proper research so you don’t price above or below the standard price for the item and run at a loss.
- State your location as well, so that your advert can be featured to buyers in the same region as you.
- Select the appropriate attributes for your product and save your ad by clicking on the post free ads icon. That sends your advert for review.
- If your advert passed Jiji’s review, it should be up and running in a couple of hours. You will be sent a notification from the platform when this happens.
- Stay available and reply to messages from buyers as soon as you get them. That would go a long way to building integrity and a good reputation for your brand on Jiji.
- Ask buyers to leave reviews on your page after each successful sale. Sellers with great reviews are more visible on the site.
How to Buy on the Platform
This article is to help you start your business in Jiji. However, we learn to walk by holding on to the hands of those already walking. You may want to start your entrepreneurial journey on Jiji by patronizing a few businesses first to see how things run on the site. Here’s how to buy on the platform:
- Visit the website on your browser.
- Search for your desired item or service using keywords. Jiji has provided filters to help you finetune search results to find the best fit.
- Contact the seller (Jiji provides the contact information) and discuss pricing and delivery details. You can chat with the vendor on the platform or call them on the phone.
- Monitor the delivery and only pay after you have received your item. Never pay in advance; always confirm that the item is in good condition before you pay. If you agree to pick it up from the vendor, meet in a public space for safety reasons.
- Leave feedback about the customer service you received on the platform. Your review will be helpful to other buyers.
How much does it Cost to Advertise on Jiji
Selling on Jiji is one hundred percent free, advertising also. That is why it is suitable for entrepreneurs just starting who may have very little funding and be unable to pay for advertisement campaigns. Jiji doesn’t request a commission for each successful sale either. However, the platform does charge a token to offer interested sellers premium services for brand promotion.
Jiji’s Premium Services
Jiji offers premium services to sellers to boost their visibility on the site. There are two packages, and both focus on promoting your advert on the site. They are:
1. The Top Package
This premium offer will promote your advert and make it show up in top search results for your product’s (or service’s) category. It will maintain its spot for the number of days you pay for (anywhere between 7 and 30 days). With this package, you have 15 times more visibility than other sellers not using the premium service.
2. The Boost Package
The boost package makes your advert show up multiple times in search results. That means a buyer looking for a product in that category will see your advert more often. The boost package effect can last up to a year, depending on the duration you paid for. It is also more expensive than the top package.
Why Should Job Seekers Start a Business?
The business of buying and selling is as old as man himself. There is a saying that as long as a man is alive and well, he will always need the things he does not already have. Job seekers should get into trading because it will always be in demand. People will always need electrical appliances that make their life easier, food, clothes, accessories, and so on. For people with full-time jobs, trading can be a lucrative side hustle.
Another advantage is that it allows you to hone the soft skills employers look out for when hiring. Soft skills like good communication skills, time management, customer service, interpersonal relations skills, and the like are necessities that you develop while running a business. You can prove your ability to be a self-starter and work independently by showing employers that you already have a business up and running.
Remember that you buy something every day, you can sell too. Platforms like Jiji have made it easier to reach your target audience from the comfort of your home. While waiting for your dream job, earn some money. Cheers to entrepreneurship!